The Birthday Baby Shower

A couple weeks ago, on my 32nd birthday, my friends threw me a party…a baby shower! Five of my girlfriends (Natalie, Nikki, Marcie, Ali, and Jill) organized the event at the American Women’s Club and they did an amazing job. They decorated the cafe, made a very tasty lunch, and even had a delicious, beautiful cake made by another friend of mine, Janet. Several other friends of mine (and 3 very cute little girls) joined in on the fun too. I had a fantastic time!

I was overwhelmed at all the wonderful gifts that the baby and I were showered with…from adorable outfits, to sweet baby books, to essentials for a new parent. I even got serenaded with the Happy Birthday song. It sounds cheesy, but I left feeling so filled with love that day.

One of the fun things the girls put together for me was a book of advice for a new mother, including:

• You can never hold and cuddle your baby enough, especially when they’re tiny and still let you.
  • Sleep when the baby does, the house won’t be that dirty.
  • When starting solids, be patient…don’t give up on a food until you’ve tried it 8-10 times.
  • When the kids fall and there is blood, use a dark blue or red towel to soak it up. The more red everyone sees, the more upset everyone gets.
  • Everything is a phase, so when the sleepless nights and teething seem like it will never end, remember it will all pass.

Got any other new mom tips to share?

Here’s some of the photos that were taken. (Please excuse my goofy faces – I got a little embarrassed being in the spotlight.)

35 weeks and wearing a dress!

Janet's Handmade Buttercream and Strawberry Cake

The Hosts and me (Jill, Ali, me, Marcie, Nikki, and Natalie)

Baby crafting goodies, including Simple Sewing for Baby and a quilt kit

A super soft baby blanket

Volkswagen Beetle Pajamas

If you’d like to see the rest of the photos, I’ve posted them on PicasaWeb. Thanks to Ali and Leah for being the photographers.

11 Comments on The Birthday Baby Shower

1. Dotty
    October 17, 2010 at 5:12 PM (3 years ago)

That’s all excellent advice. I love the Beetle PJ’s. You’re going to be a great mom!

2. brit
    October 17, 2010 at 5:29 PM (3 years ago)

omgoodness! adorable bus romper!
    brit´s last blog post ..One step away…My Profile

3. Kirsten
    October 17, 2010 at 5:55 PM (3 years ago)

Once your baby starts eating solid foods, let them try whatever you are eating (whatever is safe for them of course). My kids eat a lot of things that most other kids won’t touch just because I almost never make separate food for them.

This is more for toddlers and up, but band-aids really do make booboos better. Apparently if kids can’t see it they tend to forget about it. I’ve put band-aids on plenty of ouchies that didn’t need them.

Oh, and as a stay-at-home-mom I highly recommend letting Thomas take care of the kid as much as possible in the evenings. You will really need a break sometimes. My husband always took care of bath/bed time when our kids were younger and it definitely kept me saner.

4. Sunnie
    October 17, 2010 at 8:42 PM (3 years ago)

Happy Birthday Dallas… You look absolutely beautiful. ;) The party looks so nice as well. Hope you’re excite….

5. Mel
    October 17, 2010 at 9:48 PM (3 years ago)

You look so lovely! (:

6. Debbie
    October 17, 2010 at 10:58 PM (3 years ago)

always pee before nursing- honestly a crying baby can wait the extra couple minutes. (if safe etc)

let other people help.

im sure theres lots more… but I cant think of them right now :)

7. sew~amy
    October 17, 2010 at 11:49 PM (3 years ago)

you do look fabulous. I love the little VW beetle outfit you she got!!
    sew~amy´s last blog post ..Hoopla and piranhasMy Profile

8. Cara
    October 19, 2010 at 4:41 AM (3 years ago)

At 3 months, my biggest lesson is that it doesn’t matter what ‘every’ baby likes, it matters what my baby likes. And you will be able to tell.
    Cara´s last blog post ..At Three MonthsMy Profile

9. Reid
    October 20, 2010 at 12:06 AM (3 years ago)

oh boy do I miss you. it kills me I wasn’t able to be there to help host that bash! You look amazing Dallas! We are on pins and needles waiting for the news.
    Reid´s last blog post ..Get Out the Map and Lay your Finger Anywhere DownMy Profile

10. Ali Meyer
    October 20, 2010 at 12:09 AM (3 years ago)

It was such an enjoyable day! I’m glad you felt so filled with love that day! Can’t wait to meet the little one, she will be here before you know it!