It’s shopping month for me, as sales are only allowed in Belgium in January and July, and an upcoming trip to the US (for Thomas) means I need to put in my online orders. Besides, Thomas and I just signed up for the Cambio car sharing program so we can finally drive to the baby super store. (Thanks for taking me earlier, Marisa! It was really helpful to test drive strollers.)
So, I’ve been researching all this baby gear, but I would love some advice from real parents who cloth diapering and use bedside cribs. Here’s my questions:
- What brand do you use?
- Did you start using them as soon as your baby was born?
- If in Europe, what detergent do you use?
- Did you make your own wipes? Out of what?
- What did you use for your wipe solution? Just water or something else?
- How many diapers do you suggest getting?
- If I have a European combo washer/dryer that takes a couple hours to wash/dry a load, am I nuts for wanting to do this? Note: Otherwise, I walk to the grocery store and only buy what I can carry (groceries + baby + disposable diapers included).
I’m currently thinking about Bum Genius diapers with the snaps. I like that they use the inserts and will fit the baby for the entire diapering time. I’ve seen them in a Belgium shop, but they’re much more expensive here than in the US. I’ve been keeping an eye for them on US Ebay, but many have the velcro which seems to get worn quickly.
- What kind did you use?
- How long was your baby in it?
- How did you keep it attached to your bed?
- Was it important to have the crib on wheels?
- Where does your baby sleep during naps when you’re not also sleeping?
- Did you use a bumper?
- Afterward, did your baby sleep in a crib or a floor bed?
I’m not sure what we’re currently leaning toward for this one yet. We’ve considered just getting a moses basket or possibly a small crib/bassinet, but they would be more separate from our bed, and it sounds like the baby would grow out of that so fast. We’ve also looked at getting a bigger crib with a removable side, like the Ikea Gulliver and strapping it to our bed. This would last the baby much longer, but we have limited space while the baby is in our room.
Part of me feels silly for asking these questions because in the big scheme of things, whatever we end up doing will probably be just fine. But they’re things that match our values, and if we can find a way to make them work by learning how others have done it, then it’s great to have a little experienced advice. Thanks!