Let the Baby Crafting Begin!

There are so many great patterns and tutorials for baby items out there. Last week, I made a long list of things that I can make … then crossed a bunch off because it would just be easier or cheaper to buy them. :) Clothes still intimidate me and if it requires a special fabric (like jersey for a Moby Wrap), then I probably can’t find it here. This weekend, while Thomas went to Graspop (a metal music festival), I rocked out with my sewing machine and got 3 projects done.

First, I made a ruffly pillow. I had a bear family fat quarter that was too cute to cut up into small pieces, so I thought it would make a good pillow for a rocking chair…well, or my computer desk chair while I’m rocking the baby. I used part of a yellow sheet from my stash for the back and the ruffle. The ruffle isn’t quite even, so the perfectionist in me might re-attach it. Otherwise, it’s an improvement from the bland denim pillow I stole the insides from. I didn’t use a pattern (my ruffle might have come out better if I had), but of you give it a try, I recommend the Ruffly Pillow Pattern by Portabello Pixie.

Next, I made a fabric box…actually two. The first one went into the scrap bin due to a math error on my part. I accidentally made the box 5×13 inches – an awkward size. The second box is 8×10 inches and works much better. For the outside, I used a heavy weight decorating fabric that happens to be the same pattern as some paper I was planning on using for a mobile. The inside was another yellow sheet from my stash. I used the Fabric Basket pattern by Stitchin’ Chicken, but made the box extra tall so I can fold the edge over – I think it made it a little more stable.

The final project was burp cloths. I’ve made these before for baby showers, usually making 2 patchwork cloths. This time, though, realizing babies use much more than just 2 burp cloths, I made them much simpler with no patchwork. Mine are more rectangle (7.5x18inches) but the Easy Peasy Burp Cloth Tutorial by My Longest Year gives you directions. And these were easy peasy to make – I think I spent more time picking out the fabrics. :)

I think the interesting part about these projects was going through my fabric stash. I was surprised that I didn’t really have that many delicate baby girl fabric patterns – lots of blues, greens, yellows, and bold prints. Relying only on my fabric stash, this may be one brightly-colored child! So next up on my craft list…bibs, a travel changing pad, a nursing cover, and a mobile. Do you have any favorite baby craft projects I should check out?

7 Comments on Let the Baby Crafting Begin!

1. debbie
    July 1, 2010 at 3:44 AM (4 years ago)

i love the bright and bold fabrics.

Let me know when you find a bib pattern that you like. I have some material that i think would work but havent done anything yet.
    debbie´s last blog post ..Daves PostMy Profile

2. Dotty
    July 2, 2010 at 1:27 AM (4 years ago)

I love the fabrics — so pretty! I used tons and tons of burp cloths and bibs. They’re a must have, so make lots!

3. lisaschaos
    July 4, 2010 at 12:00 AM (4 years ago)

Very cool! Your baby will be living in style! I’m sure you’re getting very excited!
    lisaschaos´s last blog post ..Brown PelicansMy Profile

4. Sandra
    July 6, 2010 at 10:28 PM (4 years ago)

I had soo many projects for before baby arrived, but never got to them because I was working and way too tired in the evening. Your projects are too cute! And don’t be put off on sewing clothes… There are tons of tutorials out there, especially for girls! It takes hardly any fabric and they’re mostly super easy. Knits shouldn’t be a problem with your machine, and you can find them in Brussels (le chien vert maybe?) although not sure about 100% cotton. You can always shop online!
    Sandra´s last blog post ..Hello again and a poemMy Profile

5. Tavus
    July 13, 2010 at 3:16 PM (4 years ago)

Oh so adorable! I love the box and the burpy cloths. I can’t tell you how much the burp clothes are used and reused. The box is always handy too. It’s so great that you are doing such a personal thing for the baby. I wish I had as much will and creativity! By the way, I love your color coordination and style. Do you have an etsy account? I would totally buy some of those burp cloths.
    ~ T
    Tavus´s last blog post ..Toddler TalkMy Profile

6. Brussels Sprout Katharine
    July 14, 2010 at 2:51 PM (4 years ago)

Cute burp cloths. I love the very simple flat rectangular bag (one side is open) I use to stash nappies, changing pad and cleaning cloths for going out. It makes stocking the nappie bag easy and easy to switch bags. Before I had random clean cloth nappies and cloths all around my bag–recipe for digging. It’s not easy to dig balancing a baby in the other arm and peering over her! If you’re going to cloth diaper, you will love having simple cleaning cloths (‘lingettes’ in French) which save a lot of money, are no more work than tossing in with the nappies, and keep chemicals off your Baguette. The sage-femmes showed me jsut water was necessary to clean a bum, and that’s all we use–and even just dry cloths when we go out. No worries!
    Brussels Sprout Katharine´s last blog post ..Shirred dress tutorial from threadbangerMy Profile