Cloth Napkins

DSC_6907

Shortly before we moved here, Thomas and I switched over to using only cloth napkins.  I made a couple of quick napkins while learning how to use my rolled hem foot.  They were recycled from old flannel shirts, so they weren’t the prettiest, but they worked well. The bright napkins in the holder above were some patchwork ones from Goodwill.

DSC_6893

Now that we’re moved in and starting to have friends over for dinner, I wanted to make some prettier cloth napkins that would at least not clash with our Charlie Harper table runner too much.  Here’s what I came up with.  The fabric is called Annabella by Tina Givens in the Mink colorway.

New Homemade Cloth Napkins

These were very easy to make – sew two pieces of 12.5 inch squares right sides together, leave an opening to turn them right side out, turn them right side out, and then top stitch around the edge. We have our first dinner guests tonight, so we’ll see how well they work. :)

P.S. Here are some great tutorials for some really cute cloth napkins.

11 Comments on Cloth Napkins

1. sara
    March 20, 2009 at 3:43 PM (5 years ago)

Nice napkins! I think I’d have a hard time with cloth napkins (even though I *know* it’s so much better for the environment). I love, love, love that table runner. Where did you find that?

sara´s last blog post..sunday supper (again)

2. Dallas
    March 20, 2009 at 3:52 PM (5 years ago)

Thanks. I’m a big Charlie Harper fan – his birds remind me of our yard in Georgia. There’s a store in Atlanta that carries a lot of his things – http://store.heliotropehome.com/ Just search for Harper and you’ll see the list.

3. Reid
    March 20, 2009 at 4:03 PM (5 years ago)

we can’t wait to use them Dallas!!! see you soon. fun to have a preview of the napkins. they are bright and perfect.

4. Crazy Babs
    March 20, 2009 at 5:58 PM (5 years ago)

About a year ago we kinda stopped using paper towels and use microfiber cloths for clean up. I was able to find some really “fun” napkins at the thrift store. I guess it is time to make my own!

5. sohobutterfly
    March 20, 2009 at 11:26 PM (5 years ago)

I love the Charlie Harper table runner. Charlie Harper stuff is so much fun. I’ve been wanting to make some napkins for myself (environmentally friendly!) so thanks for posting the tutorials.

sohobutterfly´s last blog post..Congrats go to….

6. Ali Meyer
    March 21, 2009 at 9:24 PM (5 years ago)

Those are really cute and look great with your table runner!

Hey, we also need to set a craft night sometime soon. It sounds like a fun time and hopefully we’ll be productive!

7. Natalie
    May 19, 2009 at 12:09 AM (5 years ago)

I made one set of cloth napkins as a gift… they were okay, but I like your approach of making it double sided with top stitching… a good way to use up more of my stash!

8. rachell garcia
    October 10, 2010 at 7:49 AM (4 years ago)

how did you do the corners with the rolled hem foot, i can’t for the life of me make the corners look good.
    thanks ( your napkins look lovely by the way)
    rachell garcia´s last blog post ..curvy purple scarfMy Profile